Situated in between two river valleys, Wasilla is the sixth-largest city in Alaska spanning 8,670 acres. It is also one of the fastest-growing in terms of population with an estimated total of 10,000 people. It boasts of a booming economy, countless recreational opportunities, and an excellent quality of life.
The city is named after Chief Wasilla, a highly respected Dena’ina Athabascan Indian Chief. Wasilla’s history began when the Alaska Railroad was established in 1917. Due to the town’s proximity to abundant gold mines, many trappers and miners living in the neighboring town of Knik moved to Wasilla instead.
Wasilla’s convenient location along the George Parks Highway and the Alaskan Railroad gives residents easy access to major cities like Anchorage and Fairbanks. Top industries here include agriculture, construction, and manufacturing.
Real estate and property types in Wasilla, AK
Wasilla offers a variety of single-family homes for sale, the majority of which have large lots, spacious bedrooms, tall ceilings, and plenty of room inside and outside of the house. The properties in Wasilla come in several housing styles and designs such as ranch and chalet.
Homes in Wasilla are located in semi-rural areas, giving residents the height of privacy and comfort while not being too far away from the main road and other nearby establishments. Having incredible views of the nearby mountains and lakes from one’s own window or patio is another plus of living here.
Living in Wasilla, AK
- Wasilla offers countless activities during the summer and winter seasons. Fishing, hiking, kayaking, boating, wildlife viewing, and biking are just some of the many recreational activities you can do in and around the city. Top outdoor spots include Wasilla Creek Wetlands Trail, Nancy Lakes Recreation Area, and Wasilla Lake.
- Residents look forward to the Wasilla Farmers’ Market in the summer. Held every Wednesday, this weekday market features local farmers, bakers, artisans, and gardeners selling fresh produce, homemade bread, handmade gifts, unique arts and crafts, and more.
- If you’re looking for craft beer, Wasilla has several local breweries with splendid products. Sample the fresh, handcrafted beer from the Bearpaw River Brewing Company. Their top brews include the Mat Maid Milk Stout, Frontiersman IPA, and Hatcher Pass Pale Ale.
- Wasilla is home to the Iditarod Headquarters, a museum dedicated to the world-renowned Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race. Several exhibits about the history, past races, and current races of this iconic Alaskan contest are on display. Visitors can even participate in a dog-led cart ride if they visit during summer.
- Learn more about Wasilla’s history and culture by visiting the Dorothy Page Museum and the Museum of Alaska Transportation and Industry. The Dorothy Page Museum, once used as a venue for social gatherings and community functions, now houses an assortment of Wasilla artifacts, artworks, and exhibits.
Are you ready to find your next home in Wasilla, AK? Then contact us at My Favorite Realty to get started on your Mat-Su Valley home buying journey. Call us at 907.746.4663 or send an email to Office(at)MyFavoriteRealtyAK(dotted)com
Wasilla, AK Homes for Sale
Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.